Here’s a project I finished a couple of years ago, but never got around to posting.
It’s a way to visualize music differently to the standard notation. The notes are wrapped in a spiral fashion, with one rotation per octave. (e.g. all ‘C’ notes are at 12 O’clock)
There are a lot of benefits to seeing the music this way:
- You can see an entire orchestra “Cooperating” to make a chord, without having to read 6 sets of sheet music at the same time.
- It makes it extremely easy to see transpositions (they’re just rotations)
- Melodic inversion is just a mirror flip
- Notes played stay visible for a time as a ‘histogram’. This makes it easy to see the Key signature
- Different instruments (midi channels) are different colours. Can see contributions of each instrument to the whole
Here’s the github repo for the hardware version:
And just recently I decided to make a software only version, so I didn’t have to drag out the hardware each time. Here’s the github repo: